RE: I just got one of those resumes

Subject: RE: I just got one of those resumes
From: "Smith, Martin" <martin -dot- smith -at- encorp -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 16:45:52 -0700

I think I could teach him to use my FrameMaker template in about 20 minutes.
Assuming that I was looking for someone at the moment (I'm not) and he had
20 years of experience documenting embedded firmware applications and could
write code in C++, I'd grab him in a heartbeat.

I manage the department. I build the templates. We're transitioning towards
Frame+SGML to facilitate content reuse (so we only have to go through the
expense of validating the content once). I'm writing the code to integrate
our EDD with an SQL database. The point is we only need one person to build
these tools. I can teach anyone to use them. Everyone else must be able to
comprehend our underlying technology and add insight and clarity for the
sake of our customers.

When I started this job I promised myself that I would never ask an
applicant about tool use and I meant it.

Martin R. Smith