Re: Applying online

Subject: Re: Applying online
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 10:17:34 -0800

Jim Morgan wrote:

In short, I know never to apply to a couple of individuals on this list
for work, but that in no way diminishes my respect for them. It merely
acknowledges that our personalities probably wouldn't fit well in the
workplace.
That seems like a large leap of logic to me. The interviewing process is very artificial on both sides. Both sides are often nervous, and both are always putting on certain personas. As a result, interviews are a very poor indicator of what sort of working relations will develop from it.

I've interviewed and been interviewed by people with whom I got along with fine during the interview, yet found less than ideal to work with. Others, who seemed incompatible or neutral during the interview have been among the finest people I've known.

I remember one student I overheard when teaching university who, after the introductory class, dismissed me as stiff and awkward, and was debating whether to transfer out. The student didn't, and, by the end of the semester was not only one of the most active students in the class room, but also wrote an embarrassing enthusiastic letter of praise about me to the department.

If people can change that much, it seems obvious that you can't trust first impressions as much as everyone imagines. Admittedly, I did once refuse a job after meeting an interviewer whom I considered unpleasantly snide and snotty, but that was unusual. Except in extreme cases, judging from the hiring process is probablly very rash.

"It is our will That thus enchains us to permitted ill.
We might be otherwise, we might be all
We dream of happy, high, majestical."
- Percy Shelley, "Julian and Maddalo"