RE: Word styles, resumes, and being pragmatic

Subject: RE: Word styles, resumes, and being pragmatic
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -dot- barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:46:37 -0000

As hopefully my final word on this contentious subject, I refer my
fellow posters to that recent thread about how to dress for interviews.
One poster in particular said that the interviewer noticed and commented
on his or her shined shoes. None of the other candidates had apparently
shined their shoes.

Now, you may go through the rest of your life without shining your
shoes, or wearing ratty runners or no shoes at all. You may even be
politically opposed to nice-looking shoes (Down with MicroClogs!).
However, I think we can all agree that it's a best practice to wear nice
shoes to an interview, and to ensure they're appropriately prepared
(that is, shined or what-have-you) beforehand. If you choose to wear
nasty-looking shoes, you do so at your own risk.

To expand my comparison, there are a series of criteria which you can
affect to improve your chances of getting hired. These criteria include
both having nice shoes--some interviewers notice this--and preparing
your Word document correctly--some interviewers notice this, too. 'Nuff
said. DB.