RE: FW: Other handshakes?

Subject: RE: FW: Other handshakes?
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 13:29:45 -0600

>Seems to me like this has gotten into another one of
>those black-and-white, all-or-nothing debates. (I'm
>not just picking on Arlen here. His is just the last
>email so far on this subject.)

Oh, why not? Everyone else does. ;{>} (And it often seems I *am* the last
email on a subject on this list. I don't know if it's because I'm so
horrible that I scare everyone, or because I'm so incredibly brilliant
there's nothing left to say, or if it's just a "there goes the
neighborhood" kind of reaction.)

I agree with you over the document samples. Items in a portfolio are Fair
Game. But to first of all insist on a particular WP format for a resume,
and to then presume to judge a candidate because of technicalities over
which the candidate may have had no control is what drove me over the edge
in this particular line. I could see making it an interview question: "I'm
curious, why did you decide to format your resume without using styles?" If
the answer to the question is "Duh? Styles?" then you've got something. But
to use it as a method of excluding candidates sight unseen must make other,
more open-minded (meaning ones who care more about the quality of work
you've done than about what Word calls your formatting choice) hiring folks
smack their lips over the gems that must be slipping away from their
competition.

And yes, I exaggerated a little. I *do* own a copy of Word -- Version 4.0,
to be precise. The install floppies are somewhere on a shelf at the back of
my study, I think. But I figure even if I dragged them out and re-installed
them, and somehow got them to work on my iBook running OSX, I'd still get
torched for not using some feature that didn't arrive until version 6.

What I use at home I use because I *want* to. What I use on the job I use
because my employer wants me to. I can't believe that's such a hard concept
to grasp. There's an occasional overlap in those two sets, but it's only
occasional. Tools are tools. I don't have to like a tool in order to use it
properly and efficiently. But I *do* have to like it in order to spend my
own money on it. I'm funny that way.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224