RE: Other handshakes?

Subject: RE: Other handshakes?
From: "Glenn Maxey" <glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:40:33 -0700

Hi Eric,

As one of those anal-retentive style watchers, I agree that not using
styles shouldn't be used as a screening tool. An awesome resume
(content-wise) is an awesome resume.

You also gave many justifiable reasons for having screwed up or no
styles.

The real point is that the interviewee should realize that their work
(in Word) will be scrutinized, and they better have a good excuse for
submitting poorly structured Word documents with respect to basic
features that are fundamental to our profession in nearly every tool of
our trade.

The pointed questions that I'll ask in the interview about all the
redefinitions of "normal" become dull quickly when you explain your
conversion process. Your explanation for a weakness will turn into a
strength.

Another secret handshake that was mentioned in the Translation and
graphics thread was linked images. This doesn't apply to resumes but
could apply to other submitted samples. I'd rather have a zip file that
expands into a document and a subdirectory full of images that a huge
doc file with embedded images.

Using the above example of a zip file, another handshake is the
structure of your work. How are your doc files named? How are your
subdirectories organized? What naming convention do you use on the
graphic images and is it conducive to maintenance and translation?

The naming convention used on the submitted file is another secret
handshake. "resume.doc" doesn't cut it. "Jane_doe_resume.doc" is much
better.

Glenn Maxey
Technical Writer
Voyant Technologies, Inc.
1765 West 121st Avenue
Westminster, CO 80234-2301
Tel. +1 303.223.5164
Fax. +1 303.223.5275
glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com