RE: Other handshakes?

Subject: RE: Other handshakes?
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 08:22:26 -0700

The thread that prompted query this made me realize how many people think
that their way is the ONLY way to do something.

Gosh, I hope they like the names I came up with for the styles in my
resume. Is "body text" okay, or should it just be "body"?

And I'd better use the same keystrokes they use, or I'm just plain wrong,
and they'll take my mouse away. Even though most GUIs provide several ways
to accomplish the same task. (I customize the heck out of my toolbars,
creating icons for frequently used functions. But that's not acceptable to
a couple of yesterday's posters, even though one mouse-click is as fast or
faster than any keystroke combination.)

And what about the keyboard itself? Do I need to learn Dvorak? Buy an
ergonomic split keyboard because the boss uses one? Scary. If nothing
else, yesterday's lengthy thread identified a few micromanagers that I
would NEVER want to work for.

As far as "handshakes" - I'm not sure if these qualify, but I think a tech
writer's resume should be flawless. Absolutely flawless. I think lists
should employ parallel construction. The layout should be attractive,
maybe even "slick." I'm not an active-voice nazi, but the passive voice
should not be abused. Bottom line: I set a high bar - it should be better
than a non-writers' resume.

But I don't give a rat's *ss whether you use styles in your resume. I can
teach you how to use styles. Heck, I'll NEED to teach you how to use MY
templates' styles. Should take all of 5 minutes.

I'm looking for a writer, not a mind-reader. And not a clone. One me is
enough.

- Keith Cronin

Tech writing. Where tools matter, and periods need their space. Or spaces.

Oh, and fonts - they're important too.