Re: Looking for Advice

Subject: Re: Looking for Advice
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 21:44:14 -0800 (PST)

Terry Diederich wrote...

> Would my experience as a programmer help me find work as a tech writer?

Are you kidding. You're a pot of gold. Find a technology firm and sell
yourself to the development manager. Do not waste time with tech pubs
managers, they won't appreciate your programming skills.

Some companies, like Microsoft, actually look specifically for programmers
that want to move into documentation. Those positions often pay quite
well!

> My education has been primarily computer science although I have taken a

> couple tech writing classes since college. Will not having an
educational
> background in writing be a problem?

Are you kidding? Most engineering groups would fall over themselves to
have you as their writer.

> I'm putting together a portfolio but I don't have a lot to put into it
> right now. When I was doing most of my writing for my previous
employers I
> didn't think about some day pursuing a writing career so I didn't save
> anything for a portfolio. I've also had to sign some non-disclosure
> agreements for a couple projects so any writing I did for those would
not
> be available anyway. Is it legitimate to just write some pieces for the

> sole purpose of putting it into my portfolio?

Sure. Make them look official and tell people they are an example of your
work.

Any other docs you've done, if they were public, go dig them up. Anything
that was publically distributed you can put in a portfolio.

> Does anyone who made the transition from programmer to writer have any
> advice for me?

Emphasize your technical skills in your resume. When you interview,
demonstrate that you understand the technologies, but enjoy writing. Don't
worry about the writing side of the equation.

Dude, you're getting a job!

Andrew Plato

http://auctions.yahoo.com