RE: Baaad Hard Return

Subject: RE: Baaad Hard Return
From: "Justin Cascio" <justin-paul -dot- geo -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 22:35:09 -0500

> Meg Halter wrote:
>
> In one of the messages in the "Applying on-line" thread
> someone(sorry, don't remember who) stated that hard returns in a
> Word doc are a Bad Thing. Within a paragraph, they most
> certainly are. But I find myself using them to place figures
> because Word allows figures to run off the bottom of the page.
> Adding lines to push them to the next page is an ugly solution
> to the problem that is a pain in the neck to update as the
> document evolves. Is there an, ahem, *professional* way to keep
> figures from dripping off the bottoms of pages?

And Gary Roy suggested:

> A solution to this issue is to use anchors instead of hard returns.

I would suggest exactly the opposite, Gary. I've found nothing floats as
irritatingly as a piece of Jell-O in Kool-Aid except for perhaps an anchored
graphic in Word. If you insert the graphic in the default setting in Word
2000. That way you can set how text wraps around it by going into the
properties (right-click menu) and it doesn't float away anywhere. I wish
that you could set the Word shapes to be inserted in a non-anchored way,
because sometimes they run away.

Justin Cascio, RoboHELP Guru
justin-paul -dot- geo -at- yahoo -dot- com <mailto:justin-paul -dot- geo -at- yahoo -dot- com>
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words;
on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them
unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." -- James D. Nicoll