Re: Applying On-Line

Subject: Re: Applying On-Line
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:00:19 -0800

Secara, Maggie wrote:

My resume isn't really a one-off, since I am updating it all the time, so I actually do need to be
maintainable.
You may have pinpointed a reason for the differences in responses. People who only look for work every few years probably see their resume as a one-off document. Those who contract, or have been enduring a long round of under-employment recently, are probably more likely to see it as a maintainable document.

I always date my resumes, in case I want to revert to an earlier one for such reason. For example, I tend to de-emphasize older contracts, but one might become relevant for a particular job. Looking through my resume directory, I see that I've revised it on an average of about once every two or three weeks over the last six months. Some of those revisions have included makeovers in layout.

Under these circumstances, using styles makes sense. But I'm sure I'd view things differently if I only did a resume once every two or three years.