RE: Applying On-Line

Subject: RE: Applying On-Line
From: "Beilby, Margaret" <MBeilby -at- ebuilt -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:17:55 -0800

<<I don't use MS Word if I can avoid it.>>

I don't either. However, the fact remains that the majority of the people in
my company do and so do most of our clients. I'm not required to use Word to
create documents. However, if my documents are created in FM, I am required
to convert those docs to Word files for the clients and for those in our
company who don't use it.

It may also be necessary for me to work in Word (especially if converting a
document to FM will be really time consuming). Additionally, the proposal
writers in our company work exclusively in Word (although I'm trying to get
them to go to FM). I don't often have to do proposals, but I do
occasionally. The proposal template is extremely complex and picky. A
beginning or even an intermediate Word user would be completely flummoxed
(I've seen it happen).

I'm like several others on this list. I ask for resumes in Word files (it's
very likely that I won't even interview a candidate that doesn't use Word).
If the person has FM on his/her resume, I may also ask for a FM version.
Even though the tech writers are not required to use Word, it's absolutely
necessary that they know how to use it and use it correctly.

Margaret