Re: Applying On-Line

Subject: Re: Applying On-Line
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:13:28 -0800

kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com wrote:

That said, I also hasten to add that MOST job openings I'm seeing require
a Word resume, which presents a hurdle to those list members who have
vowed to never send a Word doc via e-mail.
A couple of loosely related points:

- After all the well-publicized viruses of the last couple of years, I notice a small, but growing trend for companies to ask for resumes in plain text or PDF rather than MS Word. Some of these companies specifically state on their Careers page that any Word attachments will be refused. Probably, this trend won't spread much, because people are used to Word and can be very slack about security, but it's interesting that it's happening at all.

- The Free Software Foundation (who else?) has recently started a campaign to encourage people to refuse Word attachments. The FSF's objection is that using .doc files as a standard for exchanging information ties everyone into a proprietary format. Of course, you'd have to be very dedicated to your ideals to participate fully in this campaign. In many cases, the campaign would meet not dealing with many companies. Still, I can't help thinking that the campaign has a point.

"It is our will That thus enchains us to permitted ill.
We might be otherwise, we might be all
We dream of happy, high, majestical."
- Percy Shelley, "Julian and Maddalo"