RE: Looking for Advice

Subject: RE: Looking for Advice
From: Ed Manley <EManley -at- Solutionsplus -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:53:33 -0600

Go for it, Terry!
I did the same thing in the late seventies - transitioned from a COBOL coder
to IT Trainer and Technical Writer, then to contracted Business Analyst.

I was able to combine skillsets and make transitions because I came from a
software development background and wanted to work in the areas where I
could improve it; requirements, communication and documentation (these are
still the downfall of most development efforts worldwide, so I can't say how
successful I've been!).

My background in development gave me insight into some of the areas where
documentation failed to serve developers and gave me some insight into
working with development teams as well. The software development team is
unlike any other beast on earth,and those with some time inside the beast
are often excellent performers once "outside". I know I am gonna get flamed
bad for saying Technical Writers are outside the development team - but in
background, temprament, skills, roles and most importantly, developer
attitude - we most usually are.

I was able to turn my background into a lucrative twenty-three year
consulting gig. I started my own business, hiring my keyboard out to anyone
who needed education and performance in requirements management, process
improvement and technical documentation. Most of the time I work alone, but
have hired as many a six writers or trainers to do various contracts. I
absolutely hate "management stuff" so I tend to avoid the bigger contracts.

I got sick of traveling all the time, so last year I took "permanant" work
here at SP (at about 60% of the average yearly income I made as a
contractor).

This company is supporting me in my quest to re-think traditional software
technigues for modeling, planning, requirements elicitation/management and
documentation for the SDLC. Again, my background as a coder, analyst and
writer has given me the wide and detailed background to begin to question
and redesign these issues.

All that said in support of my belief that ex-coders can make excellent TWs
and BAs.

While I am spouting advice - think about your experience, as a developer,
with documentation. Think about how a single-source methodology would enable
that relationship. I believe single-sourcing to be the future of software
documentation, and people like yourself with solid development experience
are the ones who can help make that happen.

Good luck,
Ed