RE: dreaded part of the job - and OCR software Q

Subject: RE: dreaded part of the job - and OCR software Q
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 11:05:05 -0500

Dan,

Offload.

If you don't have the clout yourself, then get your
manager to help.

Acquire MORE THAN ONE COPY of the software. Let your
IT department keep them as "floating" licences, with
a semi-automatic install from your network, for whoever
wants the software.

You have the scanner, so you still get to do the
scanning. But, then you hand the result file to the
requesting person, UNTOUCHED, along with a pointer
to where they can (temporarily) load a copy of the
software from the LAN and do the OCR tweaking and
the format cleanup on their own dime... er, time.

If you are not ready or able to do that, then at
least view my reply to Susie Pearson on our
documentation "process". Make up some trays
for your desk. One is labelled "Scan Jobs Waiting
for Instructions".
One is labelled "Scan Jobs with E-Mail Instructions".
One is just "Finished Scans" (always have something
in that one, so it looks good).
The ones you work on are the ones that come with
e-mailed instructions. When somebody drops off a
stack of paper to scan, say: "I can work that into
my schedule when it's accompanied by an e-mail with
full instructions. Those go into the middle basket.
The ones with no e-mailed instructions go into
the first basket, and they don't move from there
until I have a printout of your e-mail to put with
them... THEN they go into the queue in the second
basket. Thanks."

The e-mails should ALL be CC:d or forwarded to your
boss. Even if the boss is the one dumping most of the
scan stuff on you, you want the e-mail trail to make
it OBVIOUS just how much of it there is, and how much
it is eating into your other duties.

Back when this kind of thing (sudden, impromptu
projects dropped into my lap) was an issue, I
started passing off the responsibility for negotiation.
I always did my best to be accomodating, but when it
came to a real conflict, I just brought the requesting
person together with the person who had a prior
commitment from me. I said: "Here's what I've got on
my plate, and here's when this is due. Here's what is
possible in the time available. I'll go along with
whatever resolution you folks come to. When you want
me, I'll be at my desk, working on the original
project."

Usually when it came to that point, I was already
working long days, so just "adding a few more hours"
wasn't much of an option. I don't produce quality
work when my eyes are blurred from 12 hours staring
at screens and I'm short of sleep. Fortunately, due
in part to my insistance, that period was only a
few months. The other big factor was some personnel
changes; things have been flowing much better for more
than a year and a half, now.

/kevin