Dreaded Word HTML

Subject: Dreaded Word HTML
From: Grant-Kathryn <Grant-Kathryn -at- vikingfreight -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 11:00:45 -0800

Word's garbage HTML definitely gets my vote for most dreaded!! :) Two things I've found helpful:

1. The most recent version of Dreamweaver has a "clean up Word HTML garbage code" feature. It's not perfect, but on the last document I cleaned up, it got rid of about 6,000 superfluous codes, according to the little status screen.

2. I personally don't care for FrontPage, but we use it where I work. If you use it too, you can strip out a lot of the garbage code by importing the Word document as is to FP (in other words, import it without saving it to HTML first). Then right-click on the Word document, choose Open With,
then choose FrontPage (frontpg.exe). The one problem I've had with this approach that sometimes it deletes formatting I didn't want deleted, and multiple levels of indents go crazy.

You just have to find what works best with any given document.

Hope that helps--

Kathryn

>At least you're not having to reformat "HTML" that was created by Word (my
>pick for most dreaded).

That gave me a laugh; I've been cleaning up Word's HTML for two and a half
days now (in Notepad). It's tedious and dull, but one thing even worse is
getting strange looks from co-workers who say "just save the document as
html in Word."