Development Procedures - where do you come in?

Subject: Development Procedures - where do you come in?
From: "Pegasus Writer" <pegasuswriter -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 14:27:44 -0600

Good afternoon:

I hope this topic is not too much of a re-hash. I know there have been similar threads of discussion in the past, but my search on Techwhirl archives didn't produce exactly what I'm looking for and perhaps this will be of interest to others as well.

Here's the situation...The company I work for has been in business since the 80s and has never had a formal engineering development procedure (probably not particularly unique). Product development has been very informal and while this company has been very successful, many here believe that formal development procedures could help eliminate many of the headaches of the past. So, we are in the process of developing a company engineering development procedure manual and I've been asked to provide them with my recommendations for when to bring the Tech Writer into the process, hence this email.

Before completing my response to our V.P., I'd be interested in hearing from as many of you as care to respond.

1.) I'd like to know if you are involved in the early stages of product development. If so, how early -- like preliminary design meetings?
2.) How useful is it to you to be involved in these early meetings?
3.) Do you provide a preliminary design of online help and manuals?
4.) Do you participate in peer reviews?
5.) Other opinions,issues, advice or ideas along these lines?

Thanks,
Peggy Lee
Lone Technical Writer