Re: A cautionary tale: Portfolio Assessment

Subject: Re: A cautionary tale: Portfolio Assessment
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 10:42:19 -0800

Edwyn Kumar wrote:

If you're going to leave some work for assessment, make sure they're copies!
;)

I never leave originals, any more than I'd send my only copy of a manuscript to a magazine. Both are standard precautions.

However, dealing with copies brings up some important points:

First, always get permission to leave copies from the sample's owner - the company you did the work for. Some companies that have no objection to a sample being in your portfolio will object to you leaving the sample behind. Others won't object to the sample being left at some companies, but would rather it wasn't left with a rival company. To avoid bad blood, get permission, and keep a record of how you can use each sample.

Second, choosing samples to leave behind is a good way to prepare for an interview. Thinking about what a company might like to see can help you focus on the nature of the company, just as looking at its web site can.

Third, make sure that your samples are in copyable form, in case you want to add samples on the spot. Some Acrobat files on disk are useful. Or, if you're sticking with hard copies, pages can be laminated for about $1 a page. Once laminated, pages can still be copied clearly, but won't suffer any wear in the hands of staff who may not be as careful as you would like.

"I wanted one more ride, before my time was over,
To fell the wind and hear the diesels roar,
One more ride, to dream when I was younger
But dreams count for nothing anymore."
- Garnet Rogers, "One More Ride"