RE: A cautionary tale

Subject: RE: A cautionary tale
From: Steve Shepard <STEVES -at- YARDI -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 09:33:09 -0800

> ""Damien Braniff"" wrote in message...
> People are human and HR aren't to be trusted :-)
>
> Personally, my portfolio stays with me. If they interview me
> they get to
> see it, if not tough!

> Ivan Weiss responds:
>
> This is exactly the advice we were given in the class I took in
> Portfolio Presentation. We were admonished to tell any
> interviewers: "I
> go with my portfolio, and my portfolio goes with me."

I sympathize with Paul and I understand both your perspectives, but as a
manager, I have a different take. When I interview someone, I rarely have
the time, then and there, to give someone's portfolio the attention it
deserves and I often want my editor(s) to look at it and give me feed back.
So, I always ask for the interviewee to leave it. But, I arrange for it's
return then and there. What day they can pick it up, where, etc.

But, if I was interviewing for a job, I would be cautious about leaving a
portfolio myself. What to do?

Late last year I interviewed people for a position and the two people I
ended up interviewing both left me their portfolios. They both got them back
in the same condition they left it with me.

Steve Shepard
Technical Communications Manager
Yardi Systems, Inc.
819 Reddick Ave.