RE: Repeated cautions: necessary or redundant? (Take II)

Subject: RE: Repeated cautions: necessary or redundant? (Take II)
From: bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 09:48:53 -0600

IIRC, one of the factories I worked in had some machinery (the new stuff) with Plexiglas shields that lowered over the parts after the buttons were pressed to prevent just that. I'm not saying that these things never happened (seen 'em and even lived through a minor one myself), but it is an issue that gets a lot of attention at the better-managed factories and there are safeguards being added all the time.

Loose clothing and jewelry is (now) usually banned when working with such machinery. At most places I worked, a wedding band was all that you were allowed to wear (as far as jewelry goes).

The preferred method of protection from hazards is engineering controls (designing the workplace to reduce the chance of injuries), but the second best method is education (according to the HazCom training my employer requires me to take every year).