Re: Virtual Teams

Subject: Re: Virtual Teams
From: "Edwin Wurster" <eawurster -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 08:32:03 -0500

Peggy,

Check INFOWORLD March 5, 2001 for an article, "Teamwork is the key to remote development." There are many points made in this article.

As you can tell from other comments on techwr-l, one VT is very different from the next.

I think that you have to divide the VT concept into two camps. Sole proprietors (small business) and larger businesses.

Sole proprietors such as myself are very independent. I can start tomorrow. I have enough technology and experience to be productive immediately. I can purchase and install whatever I need, within reason.

Employees (or captured consultants) work within the limitations of a larger budget, and more complicated business structure. Things tend to happen slower. For instance, the impact of very small technical decisions must be studied and considered carefully.

In time, both models will work.

Key points (from experience) are:

1. Project Management
2. Communication
3. Personalities

I believe that the minimum key technologies are persistent internet access, and some type of instant messaging. A bulletin board system or mailing list would work too. When these are missing, there are longer delays between requests. When present, team members constellate.

Ed

""Peggy Richardson of mer-it.com"" <techwrl -at- mer-it -dot- com> wrote in message news:4 -dot- 3 -dot- 1 -dot- 0 -dot- 20020117150352 -dot- 00c84da0 -at- pop3 -dot- norton -dot- antivirus -dot- -dot- -dot-

Please excuse any cross-postings.
The eLearning group that I work with is proposing putting together a course on best practices for virtual teams. If any of you have experiences you'd like to share, including any "Do's" or "Don'ts", I'd love to hear them.
-->I'm particularly interested in the technology used to facilitate virtual team function: knowledge management software, "Teamware", or any others.

Thanks,
Peg

Edwin A. Wurster
17 Hollybrook Way | Voorhees, NJ 08043