RE: Reality Check

Subject: RE: Reality Check
From: John Locke <mail -at- freelock -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 14:44:33 -0800

Sharon Burton-Hardin wrote:

<
I am talking to a potential client. In 4 weeks, they want a complete
user
manual, including examples and scenarios and a CBT that "supports the
user
guide" (must reflect the complete user guide). The product is a web
based
supply chain product. There is no existing documentation, although an
online
help is being scoped now and a beta help should be ready by the time we
start our part.
<snip>
My crew says that with a week to plan - outlines, storyboards, prototype
designs, approval from client - and 3 days to internal QA, we cannot do
this
project.
<snip>
I am looking for a reality check. The client seems immovable about the 4
weeks. I keep saying starting now and they keep saying in mid Feb.
Before I
call and explain why this seems like a train-wreck in the making and we
try
to limit our wrecks when possible, can anyone think of anything we are
not
thinking of?

Gee, can I have your client?

I love doing these sorts of projects--somehow putting the seemingly
impossible out under tight deadlines.

What aren't you thinking of? The client's needs. The client needs
something to put in front of their users to help them get going.
And, they need it in four weeks, when (presumably) the product ships.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they (trying) to hire you to
help them solve this problem?

I'm not sure storyboards, prototype designs, etc. etc. are what they're
asking for here. They're asking for something to get in front of
their users. Obviously, the timeline doesn't allow for a multi-hundred
page document and movie to go with it... but you can certainly identify
the most crucial places their users are going to need help, develop
some content to help them, and even give it a reasonable polish before
you're done.

The more time you have, the more content you can develop and the
better quality, but business needs drive more decisions than any
holy processes. Instead of proclaiming "No, it can't be done," as
a service provider, you should be saying "Sure, we can deliver the
best product to meet your needs as possible, under the circumstances.
" Then you set expectations for exactly what you can deliver, under
those circumstances. Finally, you do it.

Last month I wrote a multi-million dollar proposal for a product
I knew nothing about, for a client I had never heard of, in an industry
I'd never worked in, in two days. With the help of three other people
searching for source material, I pulled together 20 pages of content,
about 6 of which were original, and delivered. Obviously, if I had
time to learn about everything, it would have been a much better
proposal. I didn't, but the client knew that, and was thrilled with
what I delivered. Sure, it was two days of hell, but I got paid,
and I expect to get a substantial amount of repeat business.

Isn't that what contracting is all about?

Of course, if you don't like to do rush projects, and you can afford
to turn the work down, feel free... Some of us specialize in getting
the job done under crazy deadlines... doing these kinds of jobs makes
me feel like I've worked hard enough to take a vacation!

John Locke
Documentation Triage Consultant
http://www.freelock.com