Re: Question about precontract stage

Subject: Re: Question about precontract stage
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 13:04:31 -0800

Bonnie Granat wrote:

All I have found so far is a contract from the Canadian Editors Association
(I may have the name wrong), which I downloaded. It would seem to me that
the most important thing is to agree on what the deliverables are and how
much the company pays for them.

I always like to add the following clauses:
- the client is obliged to provide material for testing and access to developers on reasonable notice, and that the client understands that, if these things are not provided, then the delivery date may alter.

- where the work is expected to be done, on-site or off. If it's to be done on-site, then I may add a statement that the client is obliged to provide computing equipment.

- subject to approval from the company, I can use selections of my work in my portfolio.

- if the project is not completed for reasons beyond my control, then I'm paid for the work I'm done.

- I get paid on submission of hourly time sheets, either once every couple of weeks or once per month.

These clauses are all some basic protection that I've learned to include. In my experience, any company that balks at most of them probably doesn't plan to deal honestly.

However, to soften these clauses, I also include one in which I clearly state that I'm a contractor and not entitled to the usual employee benefits

"To bring the dead to life
Is no great magic.
Few are wholly dead:
Blow on a dead man's embers
And a live flame will start."
-Robert Graves, "To Bring the Dead to Life"

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr