Re: Abbreviations

Subject: Re: Abbreviations
From: "Daniel Kamman, Information Consultant" <danielkamman -at- information-consultant -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 11:59:29 -0500

Radwa Darwish wrote
"I frequently work with abbreviations in screen text and in general, but
unfortunately I don't know any valuable resources on the subject, books, web
sites... I would appreciate if you reply with any related sources."
I suggest these sources:

The WorldWideWeb Acronym and Abbreviation Server
http://www.ucc.ie/acronyms/acro.html

FOLDOC (Free On-Line Dictionary of Computing)
http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/index.html

Acronym finder (includes abbreviations)
http://www.acronymfinder.com/

One Look Dictionaries (search many dictionaries at one time)
http://www.onelook.com/

Abbreviations and Acronyms of the U.S. Government
http://www.ulib.iupui.edu/subjectareas/gov/docs_abbrev.html

Three-Letter Acronyms
http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~wishkah/Encyclopedia/tlas.html

All book prices below are from www.amazon.com

Microsoft Computer Dictionary (Fifth Edition) - March 2002; about US $20
(I own the fourth edition and like it)

Newton's Telecom Dictionary: 17th Edition, about US $25

Abbreviations Dictionary, Tenth Edition, Dean A. Stahl; about US $80

The Barnhart Abbreviations Dictionary, Robert K. Barnhart, about US $40
(I bought this book, as a good compromise between price and completeness)

International Acronyms, Initialisms and Abbreviations Dictionary (International Acronyms, Initialisms and Abbreviations
Dictionary, 5th Ed); about US $320 (older, used editions are available at a much lower price)

Daniel Kamman, Information Consultant and Copyeditor
Cambridge, MA, USA
danielkamman -at- information-consultant -dot- com
www.information-consultant.com
Information problems found and fixed.