RE: Training inclusion of TWs

Subject: RE: Training inclusion of TWs
From: Stephen McDermott <Stephen -dot- McDermott -at- PREMERA -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 12:10:54 -0800

Charles Incharge [mailto:writerhero_02 -at- hotmail -dot- com] laments:

> "I have never had training with this employer. Part of it may be the
slowdown
> in the economy, but the other part of it is that writers truly are the red

> headed bastards we think we are..."

1. To be blunt, Did you ask to be included? On an ancient contract, I was
on the fringe of the software issues (others were documenting software, I
was involved with documenting the company engineering practices). I asked
for training and access to this software and it was immediately granted...
Turns out I was the ONLY writer to get training and access, even though
others were documenting its features, operation, capabilities, etc.

2. If you have a business need, ask nicely first, and move gradually to
demand (within reason). You might still be able to attend/complete the
training.

3. General: Could the problem be that a common (mis)perception exists among
our employers that we (techwriters), as a group, learn more quickly than
other professions. This is a selling point for tech writers coming into
"documentation challenged" organizations (i.e., no tech writers in the
company/industry), but hurts us when it comes to us needing formal training.

Steve McDermott

RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing
Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr