RE: Intellectual Property

Subject: RE: Intellectual Property
From: "Heidi Waterhouse" <HWaterhouse -at- mqsoftware -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 12:28:51 -0600

I have run into contracts like this before. I do not sign something that broad. What I do is talk to my contact point and explain that I do not want the company to own my love poems. Usually, I try to phrase it as sort of a chummy us-against-the-lawyers kind of thing. It's funny when they think about it that way.

Then we rewrite the contract to say that they own everything that relates to the business, except for portfolio materials. If the phrase 'portfolio materials' makes them nervous, we spell out what kind of copies I can take, and whether or not I can leave them with interviewers or post them on the net. I am always sure to negotiate portfolio rights at the job offer, because while you are leaving, you are not in a strong position.

Usually, when I am presented with a contract, I take it as boilerplate that can be modified. I also modify contracts that ask for the right to run total background checks, since I doubt a driving test should affect my technical writing. This has never lost me a job that I know of. In fact, some interviewers are shocked when they read what I am asked to sign.

Heidi Waterhouse
Technical Writer
MQSoftware, Inc