RE: HTML to XML conversion

Subject: RE: HTML to XML conversion
From: Jason Willebeek-LeMair <jlemair -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 08:41:49 -0600

You can use HTMLTidy to batch convert a bunch of HTML files to XML.
However, what you get is an XML document that uses the HTML vocabulary.

Then, you can create an XSLT to convert those file to a target document type
(such as DocBook). You will probably have some manual cleanup to do later,
especially if your target markup is semantically richer than HTML.

We did this for 1000+ files, and it worked pretty well. However, if you only
need to do 1 or 2 HTML files, I would suggest doing it by hand. You will
spend less time doing that then writing the XSLT.

Jason

RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing
Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr