Re: Lingua Franca Today

Subject: Re: Lingua Franca Today
From: "Brad Jensen" <brad -at- elstore -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 23:23:45 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "kelley" <kwalker2 -at- gte -dot- net>

> it's not a technical document. we;ve had this debate on the list
frequently
> enough. not all of us write user help manuals, nor do we write software
> documentation. as i explained elsewhere, our clients actually pay for the
> writing we do for them _because_ it is literate and makes cultural
> references in "flowery" language. this particular project is more akin to
> science journalism like the kind Sharon Begley of Newsweek writes. It's
> more like journalism, i suppose. Begley, of course, uses words like enmity
> and opprobrium when other words would certainly do.

She probably bothes people and earns their scorn when she does.

(that's kind of a joke)

> oh, and btw, the phrase lingua franca was used recently in a security
focus
> article, as someone pointed out offlist:
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=lingua+franca+router

Should you get with it and call it Lingua Euro?

(I hope that one is obvious, francs were superseded by the Euro in the past
few days.)

Brad Jensen
Eufrates.com LLC

RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing
Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr