Re: Technical Writers Needed for API Doc: Really?

Subject: Re: Technical Writers Needed for API Doc: Really?
From: Chris Gooch <chris -dot- gooch -at- lightworkdesign -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:06:49 -0000

Victoria wrote:

++++
When I document an API, I typically develop both a reference (classes,
methods, basic use) and a "programming guide". The latter covers the API
from the POV of programmer's tasks or problems. It presents conceptual
material and procedures. The reference is the "quick look up" document that
many on this list have mentioned.

So, is my approach weird, or are you all just calling it something else?
++++

No Victoria, you're not wierd, that sounds exactly right to me. The
"reference"
stuff is a necessary first base (in my case I make it the engineers'
responsibility),
but the Programming Guide is vital to explain what it is all about/for. This
stuff
should be concept and task-oriented, like any kind of technical writing.
It's best
written, where possible, by someone who understands the task the reader
will be faced with (so programming experience is pretty valuable IMHO).

Christopher Gooch, Technical Author
LightWork Design, Sheffield, UK.
chris -dot- gooch -at- lightworkdesign -dot- com www.lightworkdesign.com

RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing
Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr