RE: doing graphics when you're not an artist

Subject: RE: doing graphics when you're not an artist
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 12:56:34 -0500

I just use Visio or some other vector drawing program,
and fake it. I don't need to be able to sketch. I just
need to stick standard geometric elements together (mostly
rectangles) and either rotate them -- if the package allows
three-dimensional rotation -- or else simply bend one end
of each rectangle, to suggest perspective.

I expect it to become less tedious and more fun as I move
to Linux, and maybe try out a 3D package.

No artist here.

Previously, (before the economic slump) when we had a
small stable of in-house mechanical designers, they
used Pro/E to create their drawings in 3D. Then, they
published them to the company, and I used the Pro/I
web-based viewer to view, rotate, explode, etc., their
drawings, to make my illustrations. It was absolutely
lovely, but it only lasted for a few months, and one
document cycle. Then we laid off all those mech. designers,
and I'm out of luck for 3D drawings.

/kevin

.
> I'm wondering how practical it is to take digital photos of
> the equipment
> and then use a software package to trace over the parts of
> the picture we
> want to use. I think Adobe Illustrrator lets you do such
> tracing but haven't
> tried. Any other software that could help us? How do others
> draw pictures
> when you're not an artist?

RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing
Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr