Re: Anyone familiar with "aspforums"?

Subject: Re: Anyone familiar with "aspforums"?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 14:53:15 -0800

Dick Margulis wrote:

I found a free engine for adding a discussion forum to our Web site, at www.aspforums.com, and it looks like just the ticket for what I want to do.

You might also look at some sort of Zope and Squishdot combination (I'm assuming that you're running the web site *NIX, of course).

Unfortunately, because it is freeware (GNU Public License),
there is no support available.

To be picky, it's not freeware, it's free software. Freeware doesn't cost anything, but doesn't release the source code. Free software may or may not cost something, but is free in the sense that it releases the source code. Anything released under the GNU GPL is free software by defintion, or possibly open source,which is much the same thing.

But, more importantly, are there no forums for aspforums? That's the traditional source of support for free software. Zope, for example, is extremely well-served by a couple of web sites, and, more recently, by at least one book.

Possibly, of course, you're aware of this possibility, but I'm mentioning it publicly because more people are turning to free software recently (possibly because of Windows XP's restrictive licensing), so it's a point worth making to a wider audience.

"Now everything's lurching out of control, they're infiltrating my head,
When I woke up this morning, they were all around my bed,
If I knew who the enemy was, I'd shoot the bastard - dead."
-Leon Rosselson, "Somebody's Stolen the End of My Dream"

Attention ForeHelp and Doc-to-Help Users! Upgrade your existing product to RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr