Online Help for a J2EE server-side application

Subject: Online Help for a J2EE server-side application
From: "Pesach, Debra" <DPesach -at- hq -dot- row -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 09:56:44 -0500

Cross-posted: Techwr-l & HATT

Greetings all!

I turn to the "techno-gurus" out there who can advise me on development of
online help for a new application that my company is developing. Please
forgive me in advance for my ignorance (which I'm guessing will soon become
apparent-I am a help developer and not a Java programmer).

The app is a server-side (servlet/database driven) application that requires
help to be called from jsp pages. Help has to be browser independent (rules
out HTML-Help) and has to play well with the J2EE technology. I passed the
JavaHelp user guide to our user interface programmer and requested that he
let me know if he thought that the JavaHelp technology could address our
needs. His response rules out using JavaHelp because: "It appears that this
application is an applet, which would be executed in the user's browser's
JVM. We have chosen not use client side technology in this project for a
variety of reasons."

My questions are:
Does this leave me with using a WebHelp (or whatever the flavor of the day
is for browser independent HTML-based help) type online help method?
Is the programmer incorrect and I could use JavaHelp without a need for any
client-side components?
Am I missing something major here?

Please, please do not turn this into a tool issue (totally not important at
the moment).

Any and all help, as always, will be greatly appreciated (I also am able to
send candy by the mail).

~Debbie

Debra Panitz-Pesach
Sr. Technical Writer