Re: Editing Marks - Please Help!!!

Subject: Re: Editing Marks - Please Help!!!
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 19:57:14 -0500

Anthony,

Chicago Manual of Style or any decent dictionary will show you what the standard* marks are. Of course it may be that the authors you are editing are completely unfamiliar with them, but that's another matter altogether.

In any case, are you clear that the editing you are about to embark on is blue pencil on paper, rather than "Track Changes" in Word, or yellow stickies in Acrobat, for example? If you are doing online editing, you don't need to know no steenkin' proofreader's marks.

Dick

* Some of these marks have survived unchanged since before Gutenberg and you ad lib at your peril. The proofreader's mark for a hyphen, which looks like a slanted equals sign, was used to indicate line-ending word breaks in medieval mss. Check it out at the Library of Congress next time you're in DC, or at any museum that has medieval texts on display.

Anthony wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I'm on the verge of securing a technical editing
contract. Although I've done editing throughout my
writing career, this will be the first time that I
will do it exclusively in a structured documentation
group.

Is there an accepted list of proofing marks that
should be used in such environments or can you free
hand your style?

If yes, can someone supply them to me or point me
towards a list of them on the net?

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr