Re: pdf formatting?

Subject: Re: pdf formatting?
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 12:03:53 -0600

At 12:50 PM -0500 01/10/02, Hart, Geoff wrote:

Flo Gherman reports: <<I am working as a technical writer for a company that
plans to deliver documentation only in pdf format from now on. This way our
customers will have the choice to read the documents online or in hardcopy
format and, of course, we will save the printing money. Now, I have a pdf
formatting dilemma - if I can call it like this. Should I format my pdfs
using online formatting rules or hardcopy rules?>>

SNIP>
Many readers (not all) really hate reading PDF documents online if they're
formatted for printing; count me among this group.

</SNIP>

And if you format the PDF for online viewing, the people who prefer to have a hard copy are up the creek, since now it will take twice as long, have no useable index (especially if they conserve paper and print n-up of your little screen-sized pages). Additionally, what size do you make it for: 640 x 480, 800 x 600, 1024 x 768? And for what size monitor: 15 -, 17 -, 19 -, 21-inch? Each variable makes the readable size different. This is the same problem for HTML and other help screens.

Scott

Attention ForeHelp and Doc-to-Help Users! Upgrade your existing product to RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr