RE: A brief intro and a question

Subject: RE: A brief intro and a question
From: Kat Nagel <katnagel -at- bluefrognet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 11:48:31 -0500

Kat Nagel wrote:

<smile> Read my lips:
Don't depend on job boards. By the time somebody bothers to type the information into the online form, the job listing has already been circulated internally and publicized by word of mouth to every employee, their friends, relatives, and neighbors.

Rebecca Stevenson replied:
So they still haven't found a candidate and they're desperate, right? Why aren't any of them calling me?! :-)

Rebecca Stevenson
Ever-so-slightly frustrated unemployed tech writer

In my experience, in my local job market, most hiring managers can't afford to make a mistake in hiring a new employee. With layoffs happening every few months, managers whose jobs are at risk may be reluctant to take a chance on a somebody they don't know. They want a referral from a reliable current employee, a recruiter who has sent them good people in the past, or even the guy waiting in line behind them at the band--a real live person who says 'I know someone who can do that'.

A prospective employee whose card is given to the manager by someone they trust will almost always be interviewed. A person whose resume comes in the mail without a personal referral is a greater risk and may not get interviewed unless all other options fail. With an average of 100+ resumes submitted for a typical opening around here, companies can usually find someone acceptable by the time they've waded through 10 or 20 resumes. Unless there's some reason to put my resume on the top of the pile, chances are good that I won't get called. Personal referrals can help position my resume in the top 10.

Kat Nagel,
who got a call this morning from a lumberyard owner who needs his web site updated. He got my card from his next-door neighbor who was exhibiting promotional doodads at a trade show last October. I was staffing the next booth, sitting in for a friend who came down with the flu. We exchanged cards and chatted about our work. I passed *his* card on to a local non-profit organization that needed small Christmas gifts for their volunteers. What goes around, comes around.

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr