Re: FW: Extreme Technical Writing (was RE: Flexibility and changing r equirements)

Subject: Re: FW: Extreme Technical Writing (was RE: Flexibility and changing r equirements)
From: Ymorrigu -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 09:56:57 EST

As the only person to actually admit to being an extreme technical writer, here's a quick breakdown of how the documentation and writing cycles coalesce for my organization:

1. Basic working model is developed along with basic documentation structure. This includes an overview all existing modules and components, and documentation for all existing functionality.

2. Working model plus documentation go to client for formal review. The client can make changes to the design, request additional functionality, or OK basic design.

3. "Final version" is developed. Throughout this time we work closely with the client to determine what else they may need to include, and the documentation goes pretty much piece-meal as new modules or functionality are added.

4. Client accepts final version and the development ceases, or the client doesn't accept the final version and Steps 2 & 3 are repeated as necessary.

Obviously these steps are only a very high level overview, but the iterative nature is obvious. There is an extremely high level of communication between our programmers and our writers, to the point that the writers serve as test users during development. In fact, that writers at my company get to know the systems so intimately that they are the ones responsible for handling support calls after rollout.