Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 11:26:15 -0800

Jane Carnall wrote:

Well, I assumed that WAS the question.
I was branching off a bit from the question. I was also thinking of a story someone told last week about somebody not getting a job because they were judged "not a team player."

I wouldn't say I'm friendly with over
90% of my co-workers: I don't particularly want to see them outside work, go
for drinks or pizza with them at lunchtime, or (probably) keep in touch with
them after they or I have left. If this was the definition of "getting along
with people", then I don't.

The point is, there are companies where your behavior WOULD be considered inadequate. They wouldn't hire you, or, if they did, they might pass you over for promotion for your alleged attitude problem (which, I should stress, sounds perfectly reasonable to me). Such companies like to see employees buy in to the corporate culture. My take, however, is that the human resources types who have this attitude were probably cheerleaders in high school, attended pep rallies, and worried seriously about students' "school spirit," but my view (just maybe) is a little jaundiced.

And this isn't the same thing as being a doormat, dammit. It doesn't cost
any more to say No politely.

Your comment reminds me of my self-portrait as a university instructor with a large pile of marking. After ranting and raving about some poor student's illiteracy, poor grasp of ideas, and weak arguments, the comment I'd write on the paper would be "I'm sorry - you don't seem to have quite got the idea."

"Now everything's lurching out of control, they're infiltrating my head,
When I woke up this morning, they were all around my bed,
If I knew who the enemy was, I'd shoot the bastard - dead."
-Leon Rosselson, "Somebody's Stolen the End of My Dream"

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr