Regarding career options for tech writers

Subject: Regarding career options for tech writers
From: "Cara O Sullivan" <cara_osullivan -at- modusmedia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 10:54:26 -0700

I agree with the comments that have made about career options for tech
writers. I was struck last year when the excellent, well-run doc group I
worked in then was conducting peer interviews for technical writers. We were
looking for experienced writers, well-versed in documenting software APIs,
Java-based apps, and who were experienced with RoboHelp and Frame. We
interviewed people who'd been working in the field far longer than the three
of us put together! It seemed that candidates fell into to ends of the
spectrum: we'd hear one of three things:

1. "I've been a technical writer for 12 years. I lOVE writing and what I do.
I DON"T WANT to move up into management--I prefer to become a 'master
writer."

2. "What is the career path here?" (Translation: I want to move up into
management.)

3. "I would like to eventually become a programmer here."

I know lots of tech writers who moved on into corporate communications
(tried it, didn't like it) or training/educational development work for
software companies.

Sign me,
Content as a tech writer,

Cara O'Sullivan