RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 14:22:27 -0000

I picked the less-than-10% option for my current job, and would have picked
the same for most of the jobs I've had, first to last: even one place I
worked where I had MAJOR trouble getting along with some of my co-workers
wouldn't have gone over 20%. That 20% of hard-to-get-along-with just managed
to stir up a whole lot of trouble, proving that it's not the NUMBER of
people you don't get along with that matters: if you don't get along with a
co-worker and she happens to be spiteful as Shelob, holds a grudge like
Gimli, is as reliable as Boromir, stabs in the back like Gollum, and spies
like a hobbit, it's not going to do a lot of good to sit down and say "Let's
talk." Instead you should take your job to Mount Doom and throw it into the
pit of fire and then have yourself rescued by eagles or headhunters or
something and, well, move on.

Dick Margulis wrote:
>I was only suggesting that if someone finds 40 or 50 percent or more of
the world hard to work >with, rather than 10 percent, perhaps that person
should step back and consider just who it is
>who's being difficult.

True, though I think also there can be jobs/co-workers/clients that just
genuinely ARE difficult to deal with, and someone who persistently takes the
blame upon themselves and keeps going back to get knocked around some more
will probably end up doing a lot of crying and eating doughnuts.

>I used to find a lot more people disagreeable and hard to work with than I
do now, something I
>attribute to my growing up, not the general nicening <g> of the population.

Or maybe now you're a senior and respected technical writer, people are
nicer to you? <g> Just a happy thought.

Jane Carnall
The writers all stand around a cauldron chanting and occasionally tossing in
a small rodent.

E-mail is an informal method of communication and may be subject to data corruption, interception and unauthorised amendment for which Digital Bridges Ltd will accept no liability. Therefore, it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information contained on e-mail without obtaining written confirmation.

to create superior Help systems. Get special savings when you buy
in January! Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr