Re: Client woes: a question to ask yourself...

Subject: Re: Client woes: a question to ask yourself...
From: "Richard G. Combs" <richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 14:54:18 -0700

<bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com> wrote:

> I'm a graduate of one technical writing program and half way through
another one, and I have no interest in going into business for myself as a
writer.

> I would resent having to take a bunch of business college classes for my
degree because that is not what I'm going to school to study. If I wanted a
business degree, I would have gone into the MBA program.

Umm, who said anything about "having to take a bunch of business college
classes"? Bruce simply wondered why tech writing programs don't offer
courses on the business aspects. Does the term "elective" ring a bell?

Admittedly, it's been a very long time since I was in college. But in my
day, a major consisted of a required set of core courses plus various
electives in one or more specific areas of interest. Isn't that how it works
anymore?

Or is Kevin on the right track, Bryan, and you simply resent any mention of
the unseemly business of business? ;-)

Richard, a small-business man (not to be confused with a small businessman)

------
Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Voyant Technologies, Inc.
richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com
303-223-5111
------
rgcombs -at- free-market -dot- net
303-777-0436
------

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp - the industry standard
in Help authoring. Download a trial version today or get special savings when
you buy the RoboHelp 2002 Holiday Edition. Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr