Re: Employment Advice Sought

Subject: Re: Employment Advice Sought
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 14:48:50 -0800

Mdjwrites -at- aol -dot- com wrote:

If I take another teaching position, instead of waiting for another TW position, do I shoot myself in the foot in the eyes of TW hirers, ie, by building up more time as a teacher, am I lessening the chance I have to succeed as a TW?

Why do you think that teaching do you any harm? I'm genuinely puzzled by the idea. I did both teaching and tech-writing for about six months, and never saw the least hint that doing so was a problem to anyone.

And, right now, everybody knows that the economy is poor and that people are taking whatever jobs they can find. Some hirers might even appreciate the fact that you kept busy instead of simply collecting unemployment.

Moreover, your tech-writing resume (and if you don't have one just for tech-writing, you should) probably doesn't have all the details of your teaching career anyway - just the ones that make you more employable as a tech-writer. It might mention transferable skills, but not much more. There's certainly no need to mention every teaching appointment; instead, just give an overview of your teaching experience. My own post-secondary teaching was never more than a dozen lines on my TW resume, and it's reduced to a single line now that I have some solid experience.

The only drawback is that, if you take the teaching appointment, you're locking yourself in for several months, and might have to turn down a writing job that required you to start immediately. However, if you can arrange to teach only in the evening, then you might be able to work around that, too.