converting FH help source to DW4

Subject: converting FH help source to DW4
From: Wrdfinesse -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 17:03:17 EST

G'day ...

Given ForeFront's announcement this week that they're shutting the doors effective January 10, 2002 (http://www.ff.com/), I've been asked to investigate conversion options for my InterHelp help system.

I'd prefer not to go the Robo route, for a variety of reasons (the Gatesian ties, the inherent shortcomings of authoring in Word, the claim to be able to produce browser-independent output when the output is very much optimized for IE and only works clumsily under Netscape, the indifferent and frequently inaccurate technical support, the inflated price, the outrageous fee for upgrades ... to name the obvious).

I'd like to try to take my FH source into Dreamweaver 4. Has anybody done this successfully? I'm interested in finding out:

- what problems were encountered when importing FH-generated source into Dreamweaver

- whether anyone has successfully used DW4 to generate a browser-independent help system, and what pitfalls you encountered

Any insights/war stories will be gratefully received and graciously acknowledged.

Regards,

Anne Halsey
wrdfinesse -at- aol -dot- com