Re: What's been the most valuable course you have taken

Subject: Re: What's been the most valuable course you have taken
From: "John Fleming" <johntwrl -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 02:43:22 +0000

"Win Day" <winday -at- rogers -dot- com> wrote in message news:5 -dot- 1 -dot- 0 -dot- 14 -dot- 2 -dot- 20020103172937 -dot- 00a526c0 -at- pop -dot- glph -dot- phub -dot- net -dot- cable -dot- rogers -dot- com -dot- -dot- -dot-
[snip]

The course that had the most impact on my career wasn't a single course but a complete program. In May I completed a one year post-grad certificate program in Interactive Multimedia. For eight intense, stressful months I learned information architecture; graphic design and manipulation; digital audio and video creation, editing, and delivery; animation; web and CD authoring languages; and project management. I'd be hard-pressed to say which individual course was the most valuable.

Likewise.

While it is hard to think of an individual course that stands out as influencing my career, it is relatively easy to think of a program.

In my case, it's a four year program in electrical engineering.

Exactly how deep that influence is was driven home in an interesting sort or way last summer. I was talking with the project coordinator for our writing team on a project I was working on.

We were doing procedures for a company that does billing, and she told me flat out that she has *never* seen another writer who can handle math the way I can. And if there was a procedure that needed writing that involved math, it had a nasty habit of finding its way into my In box.

Oddly enough, the newest project in my bailiwick is a financial system.

--
John Fleming
Technical Writer and SAS Programmer