Re: Using a gerund phrase for procedure topic titles? (Take II)

Subject: Re: Using a gerund phrase for procedure topic titles? (Take II)
From: Char James-Tanny <CharJT -at- helpstuff -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 11:24:30 -0500

> In any event, I think the rest of my response remains valid and relevant to
> the heading, though "creating" is more familiar. Perhaps a compromise might
> be "To create a new document"? That works well from the reader's viewpoint,
> and is a structure I've seen often enough to consider it familiar to many
> readers.

I've been watching this thread with interest, as I'm one of those in favor of the
gerund/noun phrase/gerundive. I'm not crazy about starting a number of topics
with "To...", especially for online documents, because it is so hard to scan a
list of topic titles that all start the same.

This is my opinion only, of course...

Char
Char James-Tanny (mailto:CharJT -at- helpstuff -dot- com)
JTF Associates, Inc. (http://www.helpstuff.com)

Consulting and Development for WinHelp, HTML Help, and Web-based Help
Adjunct Faculty, Bentley College
RoboHelp Advisory Board and RoboHelp Certified Instructor
Web Site Design (http://design.helpstuff.com)
Web Hosting (http://hosting.helpstuff.com)

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp - the industry standard
in Help authoring. Download a trial version today or get special savings when
you buy the RoboHelp 2002 Holiday Edition. Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr