Re: STC Membership

Subject: Re: STC Membership
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 07:22:35 -0700

I've said most of this before, but feel it bears repeating.

When I was entering this profession, I found the STC to be a helpful
source of information about tools, techniques, and literature. I was able
to ramp up quickly using information I gleaned from STC publications.

As a newbie writer applying for my first entry-level tech writing job, my
membership in the STC gave me some added credibility on paper. (When
you're a newbie, every little bit helps!)

When applying for the aforementioned job, I used the STC Salary Survey to
help me negotiate a salary $5K larger than any of the other entry-level
writers the company hired. To me, the salary survey alone makes membership
worth the price of admission. HOWEVER, it's worthwhile to mention that you
can access it for free via the STC's Web site.

While at my first job, publications that I received from the STC made me
aware of products, solutions, and methodologies that I pitched to my boss,
resulting in raises and promotions for me.

As I've moved up in the profession, I've continued to maintain my
membership, and I peruse their publications as time permits. I have not
attended any conferences, due to time constraints. The local meetings I've
attended have varied in their quality, but are always valuable networking
opportunities. There's a nice little "community" of tech writers here in
South Florida, and they are friendly and helpful. YMMV.

SUMMARY: If you're already a successful tech writer and/or surrounded by
skilled colleagues and mentors, the usefulness of STC membership may be
negligible. But if you're a newbie, a lone writer, and/or not in a tech
writing mecca that exposes you to the latest-and-greatest tech writing
info, it can be a lifesaver!

- Keith Cronin

A shout-out to my tech-writing homeys: Keep it real! Word! Or maybe
WordPerfect!

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp - the industry standard
in Help authoring. Download a trial version today or get special savings when
you buy the RoboHelp 2002 Holiday Edition. Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr