RE: STC Membership

Subject: RE: STC Membership
From: "John Fleming" <johntwrl -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 06:37:40 +0000

""bgoett"" <rbg -at- silk -dot- net> wrote in message news:000501c193f3$973edd20$c74d7240 -at- win95 -dot- -dot- -dot-

I'm trying to decide if the benefits of joining STC are worth the $200.00
CDN annual fees. There seems to be a wealth of information about technical
writing free for the asking on web sites like TECHWR-L. I haven't noticed a
huge number of job postings on the main STC site or the Canadian chapter
sites. If I lived in a major center like Vancouver or Calgary, I'm sure it
would be beneficial to attend meetings and network with other tech writers.

My feeling is that a large part of the value of an STC membership is what you make of it.

My own STC membership has given me some contract leads that have paid off handomely--enough to pay for my membership well into the 22nd century, and leads I wouldn't have gotten if I were not a member. (Mind you, I recently picked up a contract that will let me say the same thing about church choir--go figure.)

In addition, it's given me some networking opportunities.

It's opened a few professional development opportunities.

It's given me a vehicle to raise my profile in our field (at least among fellow STC members).

And it's given me some interesting reading.

But none of this would have happened if I'd just paid my membership dues every year and let the magazines gather dust in the magazine rack in the bathroom.

--
John Fleming
Technical Writer and SAS Programmer