RE: Localization Issues

Subject: RE: Localization Issues
From: "Van Laan, Krista" <KVanlaan -at- verisign -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 15:04:18 -0800

I forgot to add the obvious --
that this synopsis I posted for estimating translation
costs is relevant only to the USA. Having managed translations
in Europe as well, though, I can say that the things to look for
when estimating are the same:

* per-word cost, based often on availability of translators
* DTP costs, based on the difficulty of character sets and page layout
as it compares to the source language
* the work it takes the company to extract the text from the file and
test the end result (plain text being cheapest, and UI being the most
expensive).

Krista

> Steve Shepard wrote:
>
> > Of course, this means I have the task of researching what
> > it's going to take
> > to localize our docs. I am not sure where to start. Anyone
> > know of any good
> > resources on the subject? Books, websites, etc. Anyone know of any
> > consultants or companies that localize docs that you could
> > recommend? Any
> > other suggestions, hints, tips, warnings, cautions, or
> > pointers in the right
> > direction would be helpful.
> >
> > I am particularly interested in anything that would help me
> > estimate the
> > cost of translation. Even just rough ballpark figures for
> page or word
> > counts.
>
> It's a lot of work to figure out a ballpark estimate for translation
> costs, but there are a few ways to make rough guesses about your
> proposed costs.

<snip>

> Krista Van Laan
> Director of Technical Communications
> VeriSign, Inc. http://www.verisign.com
> 487 E. Middlefield Rd. Mountain View, CA 94043
> tel: (650) 426-5158 fax: (650) 426-5195

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp - the industry standard
in Help authoring. Download a trial version today or get special savings when
you buy the RoboHelp 2002 Holiday Edition. Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr