Re: Excel and large numbers of linked files

Subject: Re: Excel and large numbers of linked files
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 21:14:11 -0500

"Ehr, Meg" wrote:

> Just got a new project, on a pretty short timeline, and was hoping to get a
> little guidance before I start.
>
> The boss wants me to set up the structure for a series of files that will
> contain specific customer account data. She wants individual files for 800
> accounts (14+ data fields for each), plus a "snapshot" file showing selected
> data from each of the account files. The "snapshot" file should update
> automatically when data in the account files is changed, and will be
> attached to a Siebel database for viewing.
>
> The boss would like to do this in Excel, because she knows she can link the
> snapshot file to Siebel. Will Excel handle this well? I haven't done
> anything this big in Excel to know whether to expect problems with a
> spreadsheet containing data from 800 files, and the last thing I want is for
> it to choke just as we get done.
>
> Would Access be a better choice for this? Given the volume of data, that was
> my first instinct, but Boss's concern is that we wouldn't be able to update
> the file linked to Siebel automatically without running a report or
> something first. Is there a way to create a file that would update
> automatically with data from Access, and would also link to Siebel?
>
> Or, perhaps, is there another option that would work better (without
> requiring new software -- we don't have the time or the budget)?
>
> If there is a resource that could help answer my questions, please point me
> to it -- I've been flailing around in the archives, Google, program help,
> and the MS website to try to figure this out, to no avail...

As a database resource try
http://databases.about.com/library/weekly/aa123100a.htm
A lot of fine willing helpers hang out at the Peachsoft-L Excel list. I
do not have the link, but if you poke around a bit at your news reader
or at the Yahoo groups, you should find it.
For a more technical discussion try the exel.programming ng at
news.microsoft.com.
HTH

--
Peter
Mailto:peternew -at- optonline -dot- net

Adapting old programs to fit new machines
usually means adapting new machines to
behave like old ones.

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp - the industry standard
in Help authoring. Download a trial version today or get special savings when
you buy the RoboHelp 2002 Holiday Edition. Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr