RE: "baseline"

Subject: RE: "baseline"
From: SIANNON -at- VISUS -dot- JNJ -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 9:51:34

I'm going to have to agree with those who've stated the term *can* be used,
even as a verb, as long as it is defined clearly for the audience. I've
heard the term often over the past five years, including the verbed form,
used to indicate the action of establishing or recording an initial or
foundational reading/metric (i.e., baseline, used as a noun) for a system's
performance or configuration, against which irregularities or changes can
be measured. (I have *not* heard it in the straight past tense before. I've
heard it as "subject-did baseline-object", but not
"subject-baselined-object".)

I've most recently heard it in the context of establishing a baseline of a
database's DDL against which later DDL exports can be compared to verify
the elements changed (used in lieu of, and in comparison with, automatic
change tracking and version control features while they're still being
tested), expressed as "We need to baseline the existing DDL, and then run
periodic exports throughout the development process for comparison."

Now, your audience may differ from mine, so take this opinion with whatever
grains of pretzel salt you deem necessary...

Shauna
...Random Technophile...