Re: techwr-l digest: December 26, 2001

Subject: Re: techwr-l digest: December 26, 2001
From: Charles E Vermette <cvermette -at- juno -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 10:47:40 -0500

Megan Golding (mgolding -at- secureworks -dot- net) wrote:

<<<My writing skills are so-so. I struggle to get a paragraph to sound
"just right". However, I can approach a complex system, understand it,
and describe to others how it works. I've often described what I do as
translating. I speak "geek" and "regular" and my job is to translate
between the two...>>>

<<<So, to the aspiring tech writers reading this, ask yourself this, "Do
like to explain how something works to someone who doesn't understand?"
That, to me, is the key to tech writing...>>>

Meg, this is the most astute description of tech writing I've ever seen -
as well as the best advice to newbie writers.

The only thing I disagree with in your post is your self-assessment. Your
writing ability is *way* above "so-so."

-Chuck

PS Thanks also for backing up Keith Cronin's post. You saved me the
effort!

Charles E. Vermette
85 Washington Park Drive
Norwell MA 02061
781-659-1836
e-mail: cvermette -at- juno -dot- com

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp - the industry standard
in Help authoring. Download a trial version today or get special savings when
you buy the RoboHelp 2002 Holiday Edition. Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr