RE: Including content of one file of HTML in another?

Subject: RE: Including content of one file of HTML in another?
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 10:40:37 -0500

Paul Newbold [mailto:paul -dot- newbold -at- lightworkdesign -dot- com] proclaimed:

> I did a bit of research recently and concluded that a ball
> park figure was that about 10-15% of the general web user
> population didn't have javascipt turned on. My sources included:

> http://www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/res_design.htm
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2001/01/22-stats.html
>
> and while I agree that such sources should be interpreted
> with caution I think that its better to have some info to
> base decisions on rather than none at all.

I seem to have done more than my share of installing OS
and general apps on computers in the past several months,
and it strikes me that:

The major browsers for Windows seem to assume you want
Javascript and Java (and active everything, and multi-
media everything and, and...)

The usual suspects for Linux seem to leave both off, by
default, and warn you that turning them on is a security
risk.

My response is to have two or three browsers on the go,
in Linux (Mozilla, Konqueror, Opera... and whatever less
commercial offering I'm trying out at the time) and to
browse using the one that has Java and Javascript
turned OFF.

When I encounter a site that demands one or the other
(like my bank, dammit) I resort to a browser with JS
turned ON... and then go back to J-free browsing. I also
routinely refuse cookies and only grudgingly accept them
when forced to do so for entry. Not only am I wary
of potential nasties, but I'm wary of helping anybody
to augment their profiles of me.

In fact, that is now my primary method of stopping
myself to ask if I really, really want to bother
entering a given site. I don't mind missing fluff
and [F/f]lash, but I resent it when they hide content
behind "mandatory" Java or JS.

I like how Opera puts right up front the choice to
automatically clear cookies at the close of each
session.

Now, I'm probably not your typical user, but I've
probably got more than one or two percent of web
denizens for company.

Something to keep in mind when creating web pages.

/kevin

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr