RE: Microsoft Word Editing and Help

Subject: RE: Microsoft Word Editing and Help
From: "Isley, Donna D - CNF" <Isley -dot- Donna -at- cnf -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 13:46:12 -0800

1. A bunch of lists are available through Microsoft: from
microsoft.public.word to excel and access. Last I looked there were in
excess of 50 lists. I get to them from my newserver.

2. It depends--if the table requires formulas--then of course use Excel.
But, I don't find it difficult at all to create tables in Word. Text [tab]
text [tab], etc. Select all. Convert text to table---viola!

3. Snagnit is good for screen shots, but I use FullShot.

4. See number three.

5. Yes, whether you do depends if the document has a lot of numbering (move
it out of Word as fast as you can). Does the customer expect to be able to
hold the source?? Few people will purchase Frame, everyone has Word. [Apply
standard arguments here--TOOL WARS]

6. Acrobat

7. We have developed our own house standards and templates.

8. Sorry, no opinion about any Help authoring tool.

Donna D. Isley
Publications Analyst
503/450-6360
503/220-1314 Fax
isley -dot- donna -at- cnf -dot- com

Steve Lefevers wrote:
Since a lot of companies require you to use MS Word to prepare, edit, etc.
documentation - I have a few MS Word Questions.

1. Does anyone know a good Microsoft Word or Office List - that you can post
questions to?

2. If you're designing a Document in Word that requires tables - doesn't it
make more sense to create the Table in Excel (a much more powerful program)
and then simply import the Excel Table into the Word Document? Is that what
most of you do? It's a lot more hassle to create a Table in Word itself.

3. For Importing Graphics into MS Word - I've heard SnagIt is a great
program.
Has anyone used Snagit or do you prefer another program for this purpose?

4. What program or Feature do you use to create Screenshots in MS Word?

5. If you have to initially design a piece of Documentation in MS Word -
once
you've done so - can you convert the Word Document to Adobe Acrobat Reader
or Framemaker format?

6. If so - does this conversion require some special Utility program?

7. In Technical Writing -what are the most frequently used Formats that Word
Documents are converted to?

8. What are the most frequently used types of MS Word Templates used by
Technical Writers?

9. Is there a good - inexpensive or Free Help program I can practice on my
home pc (I can't afford RoboHelp)that is similar in use to RoboHelp? I
could
then practice with this cheaper program and then when I have to use RoboHelp
later, the RoboHelp commands and functions will be similar and easier to
pick-up on.

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr